CREATIVITY IS A JOURNEY
“The object isn’t to make art, it’s to be in the wonderful state which makes art inevitable.”
The students in my latest workshop, (Oil Paint Stick Bootcamp), at the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art, (as seen in the photo above), went on a creative journey with me and came away with new knowledge, respect for a new medium, and a new found appreciation for process.
Creativity is a journey
Think of being creative as being on a journey. The journey is the process. The journey is the place where you want to be. I am all for creating something beautiful, something that you can live with, or something that you can be proud of. However, if you are on the journey and you are really involved in the process, then this is right where you want to be. You do not want to look too far ahead to the destination. Or be too worried about the outcome. Get your self on the journey (which can even be difficult sometimes), stay with it, and enjoy the ride.
- Decide to go on the journey
- Commit to the journey at all costs
- Be fearlessly devoted to the process
- Do not be concerned with the destination or the final outcome
- Do not allow yourself to be easily distracted
- Continue to create in the middle of things (the ups and downs, distractions, and blockages that come with creating)
- Boldly take right and left turns as they present themselves
- Enjoy every minute of it
- Remain positive and hopeful
Try and approach every creativity opportunity in this way. Who knows, even your perspective on life may be changed for the better as a result. Enjoy the journey.