7 BENEFITS OF CREATING A SERIES
Current pieces in progress for a series entitled “A Roomful Of Ghosts”.
“A painting is a layering of thoughts and visual impressions piling up history and sensations. An open ended experience where the viewer adds his or her own notions to those of the artist.”
I am an artist who has always created work in a series format. Some artists call it “creating a body of work”. This means that an artist creates several pieces exploring one idea, theme or subject matter. The number of pieces an artist creates varies and is up to the individual artist to decide. I have created series anywhere from 3 to 40 pieces. Most of my series have been in the 12 to 15 range.
Here are 7 benefits of creating work in a series format.
1. Creating a series helps you communicate your vision with more depth and clarity. You have the privilege of exploring and investigating your subject matter, or idea, many times, which allows you to really get at the heart of what you want to say.
2. Creating a series allows for more focused intention. With each piece you create, you narrow down the essence of your idea. Each piece motivates you towards the next one.
3. Creating a series promotes cohesiveness amongst all of the pieces. This allows for more continuity and showcases a stronger aesthetic throughout the entire body of work.
4. Creating a series allows for variations within all of the pieces. You have the luxury of trying new and different things with each piece. Your subject, theme or idea is the glue that holds the entire body of work together.
5. Creating a series allows you to narrow down your process, style and working methods. And learn exactly what they are. These can include, among other things, medium, color palette and technique.
6. Creating a series accelerates your artistic growth and momentum. Once you get started, there will be no stopping you.
7. Creating a series provides an opportunity for you to forge a new and deeper relationship with your creativity.
If you are serious about creating your own body of work and are interested in working with me and a small group of like-minded artists, read more about a new program I have created called ELEVATE: Artist Mentorship by clicking here.